How Does Mold Get in Air Ducts?
It doesn’t matter if you live in a climate that is hot or cold, warm or dry, various types of mold can set up shop in your air ducts regardless. Studies have shown that mold exposure can cause a variety of serious health problems, especially for at-risk populations like infants, the elderly, or those who are immunocompromised.
We see mold issues quite frequently when we are performing air duct cleaning in Atlanta. For this reason, it is a good idea to add air duct cleaning and sanitizing, and ac vent cleaning to your annual home maintenance regimen.
You may be wondering, just how does mold get into your ductwork? Typically mold spores can enter your vents through the air intakes. If there is any condensation or water within your ducts, these spores can take hold and colonize. The dark and damp environment is the perfect home for mold to grow out of control. Additionally, as the mold colony grows, the spores can travel through the rest of your ductwork and grow new colonies anywhere there is regular moisture. It can quickly become a disastrous problem.
So, how do you determine if you have mold in your HVAC system? There are several telltale signs such as:
- Odor: If you notice a damp, musty smell in your home, and especially when your air or heat is on, you will want to check for black mold.
- Black dust: Look for black dust that has stained the area around your air vents that is difficult to wipe off.
- Moisture: If your home tends to feel very humid, this may indicate that your AC system isn’t dehumidifying the air correctly, and this excessive moisture could be a breeding ground for mold.
- Eye irritation: Mold can cause an allergic reaction in many individuals. If you find your eyes irritated and itchy inside your home, but not in other locations, check for mold.
- Feeling Unwell: Prolonged mold exposure can cause serious adverse health effects including, nausea, chronic fatigue, dizziness, respiratory issues, and allergic reactions. If you or your family are continually experiencing symptoms of illness, you should look into mold as the culprit.
If you are experiencing any of the above signs indicating mold growth, it is important to look into air duct cleaning and sanitizing and ac vent cleaning as soon as possible. Do not take a chance with your or your loved ones’ health. Let the Integrity Air Care team come and do a thorough evaluation of your HVAC system. We will identify the type of mold present and safely mitigate the problem so that you and your family can breathe easy. We will also work with you to prevent the issue from recurring.
If you are in need of mold removal and air duct cleaning in Atlanta, look no further than the friendly and knowledgeable technicians at Integrity Air Care. We look forward to hearing from you.